As New 12 months celebrations gripped the world, blasts had been reported to have rocked Ukraine’s capital metropolis of Kyiv and different components of the war-torn nation lower than an hour into 2023. Nonetheless, there have been no quick stories of casualties or accidents within the assault which got here shortly after President Volodymyr Zelensky’s New 12 months message, wishing victory for his nation within the conflict that’s in its eleventh month with no sign of ending.
Listed below are high 5 factors on the conflict:
1) The assault got here after Russia fired a barrage of over 20 cruise missiles throughout Ukraine on Saturday in what Ukraine’s human rights ombudsman Dmytro Lubinets known as “terror on New 12 months’s eve”. On Thursday, in one of many greatest wave of strikes seen in latest weeks concentrating on nationwide infrastructure, Russia pounded Ukraine with over 120 missiles hanging Kyiv, the japanese metropolis of Kharkiv, and the western metropolis of Lviv.
2) The most recent assault got here shortly after Zelensky’s tackle. “We battle and can proceed to battle. For the sake of the primary phrase: ‘victory’,” he stated. “I wish to say to all of you: Ukrainians, you’re unbelievable! See what we’ve got achieved and what we’re doing!” Zelensky added, within the emotional speech.
3) “We battle as one group — the entire nation, all our areas. I love you all. I wish to thank each invincible area of Ukraine,” he continued.
4) With the onset of winter, Russian strikes have been systematically concentrating on vitality infrastructure in Ukraine, leaving thousands and thousands within the chilly and darkish in the course of the chilling chilly.
5) In the meantime, in his conventional New 12 months’s Eve tackle, President Vladimir Putin informed Russians that “ethical, historic rightness is on our facet”. Putin stated that this yr was marked by “really pivotal, fateful occasions” which turned “the frontier that lays the inspiration for our widespread future, for our true independence”.
(With Reuters, AFP inputs)
ABOUT THE AUTHOR